NLBHorton

The Archaeology of Writing

All over the world, but not of it. Hemisphere-hopping wife, mother, author, angler, and seminary graduate. Represented by Books & Such Literary Agency.

The Luminaries
Eleanor Catton
America's Great Game: The CIA’s Secret Arabists and the Shaping of the Modern Middle East
Hugh Wilford
Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune
Paul Clark Newell Jr., Bill Dedman
Blood and Beauty
Sarah Dunant
The Last Camellia
Sarah Jio

The Yard

The Yard - Alex Grecian It's been at least 15 years since I've abandoned a book, but I just crested page 185, and am bailing.

I was attracted to the book because I enjoy Sherlock Holmes, and spinoffs from that literary franchise, so expected to enjoy a novel set in the early days of Scotland Yard. I am interested in the book's era (Victorian London just after Jack the Ripper's carnage).

I am abandoning the book for the following reasons.

1) I'm halfway through, and still have trouble distinguishing the author's main characters (a group of detectives). This confusion is unusual for me, and think he needs to provide more defining characteristics, or should have eliminated some of his cast.
2) The author's villian is abducting young boys, but by page 185, there's nothing specific about why. (I can imagine why and don't want abundant specifics, but drawing out the revelation slows down the story, and the implications are luridly distracting.)
3) While I read suspense (Silva, Baldacci, Leon), some of the details in this book are a little too graphic for me.

So perhaps this book was a mismatch in the first place, but I caution you to read about it carefully before investing in it.