NLBHorton

The Archaeology of Writing

All over the world, but not of it. Hemisphere-hopping wife, mother, author, angler, and seminary graduate. Represented by Books & Such Literary Agency.

The Luminaries
Eleanor Catton
America's Great Game: The CIA’s Secret Arabists and the Shaping of the Modern Middle East
Hugh Wilford
Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune
Paul Clark Newell Jr., Bill Dedman
Blood and Beauty
Sarah Dunant
The Last Camellia
Sarah Jio

The Sins of the Father (Clifton Chronicles)

The Sins of the Father - Jeffrey Archer This, the second in Archer's Clifton Chronicles series, is as good as the first (Only Time Will Tell). I really enjoy his depictions of the Barringtons, and Harry Clifton. I like the way he weaves America and Great Britain together during World War II. He handles both aristocracy and working class with sensitivity (no hidden agendas, thankfully), and does a good job realistically shading characters from many generations.

I find his writing easy and quick to read, so the perfect choice for a summer afternoon. I'll be purchasing the third book in the series, Best-Kept Secret, as soon as I can scoot to my small mountain bookstore.